New Years Resolutions from Great Theologians?



Are you looking for some good new years resolutions? Well consider these words from Jonathan Edwards:
#25 Resolved: to examine carefully, and constantly, what that one thing in me is, which causes me in the least to doubt of the love of God; and to direct all my forces against it.

#28 Resolved: to study the Scriptures so steadily, constantly, and frequently, as that I may find, and plainly perceive myself to grow in the knowledge of the same.

#67 Resolved: after afflictions, to inquire, what I am the better for them, what good I have got by them, and what I might have got by them.
Or how about this from Charles Spurgeon: "I wish, my brothers, and sisters, during this year you may live nearer to Christ than you have ever done before. Depend on it, it is when we think much of Christ that we think little of ourselves, little of our troubles, and little of the doubts and fears that surround us."

Or this from Thomas Manton: "Great resolutions are always vain, unless joined with the consideration of our own weakness. The people of God have promised much, but always it is with the concurrence of Christ. The apostle saith, Philippians 4:13, 'I can' or will 'do all things,' but it is through Christ."

And recognize that these resolutions aren't just good for the new year. They are life-long resolutions. Let us resolve to trust the Lord with all our heart, and in all our ways acknowledge Him (Proverbs 3:5-6). Proverbs 16:9 says, "The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps," when we understand the text.

Comments

Top 5 Most Viewed Videos This Month