Is God's Love Reckless?

There's a popular Christian song entitled Reckless Love, sung by Cory Asbury of Bethel Church in Redding, CA. The first verse goes like this:
Before I spoke a word, you were singing over me
You have been so, so good to me
Before I took a breath, you breathed your life in me
You have been so, so kind to me
So far, or should I say so, so far, the song is alright. Psalm 139:4 says that "before a word is on my tongue, O Lord, you know it altogether." Romans 2:4 says that God shows His kindness toward us to lead us to repentance. But then we get to the chorus, where he sings...
Oh the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God
Uh, what? The love of God is reckless? A word that means "without thinking or caring about the consequences of an action?" Not only is that an unbiblical description of God's love, the artist contradicted himself.

In the first verse, he sang, "Before I spoke a word and before I took a breath, you were good and kind to me." But then he sings that God's love is thoughtless and careless?

The Bible says that God chose His elect "before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us for adoption to Himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of His will, to the praise of His glorious grace" (Ephesians 1:3-6).

That's not reckless. That's foreordained. Don't sing this reckless fluff. Praise God for who the Bible says He is, when we understand the text.

Comments

Top 5 Most Viewed Videos This Month